View Single Post
Old 01-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my mom had alzhiemers/dementia - it sucks. i would go to visit her and she would look at me and i thought she recognized me - but then nothing. my mom lived in assisted living places for almost 8 years - with the last 6 at behtany care in the kensington area.

the care there seemed fine. my sister visited mroe than i did and she never expressed any concerns - other than some of the clothes she brought for my mom would go missing. We meet annaully with the care team, and there did not seem to be a huge amount of staff turnover.

as mentioned above, make sure you have all the powers of attorney, end of life directives etc all sorted out.

all i know is that if i am ever diagnosed with this i want to go with an assisted end of life as you are not really living and it is expensive being in LTC and i would rather my estate have that money.

as humans, especially children, i am not sure we are wired to take care of aging parents and when you have to provide support for dementia you are dealing with a toddler again. And there is little break for the care giver.