View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #3274
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
It's usually a percentage of the purchase price, ~1%.

As for home inspectors, that's a funny industry. They legit find stuff sometimes, but when there's nothing to report, they seem to look for stuff to validate or justify their $500 charge. There should be no shame in a home inspector telling a buyer that the house is fine. No need to start pulling out things like tripping hazards in sidewalk blocks, as though they're defects instead of a couple hours of homeowner elbow grease.
I was fortunate to have a good inspector. The first place I looked at he saved me from buying a wood foundation that was going to have numerous issues. The one I bought, he pointed out the electrical panel was undersized and double tapped, the HW heater was near death, the furnace was 50 years old, and that it would need a new roof. I may have noticed a couple of those things, but it meant more to have it in writing from a third party. We threw that back to the seller and we agreed to split the aprox cost of those things to reduce the sale price.

He also pointed out a whole bunch of little things and how to fix them that I did myself that I may not have noticed.

I'm well aware that a lot of inspections can be fairly useless though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: