Thread: Star Citizen
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #730
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

FPS module delays yet again, and when I read stuff like this it makes me doubt if we'll ever see a real full game come out

http://kotaku.com/why-star-citizen-i...ong-1724835913

Quote:
Still, people who have worked at Star Citizen development studio Cloud Imperium, speaking under condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about their work on Star Citizen, point to Roberts’ ambition and leadership style as one of the main causes of the game’s delays.
As an example, one high-level ex-employee shared the story of the Menu Helmet. At one point, according to that employee, Roberts decided he wanted players to have to find and wear an in-game helmet in order to gain access to the menu in Arena Commander. Some developers tried to shoot down the idea, noting that players would grow frustrated if they couldn’t find something as essential as a menu, but Roberts insisted, so a team of developers spent weeks making it work. Then, according to that source, Roberts tried it, only to realize that it wasn’t actually fun. So they scrapped the whole thing and went back to a regular menu system.

If they had stuck to the original plan, had half the funding done with crowd-sourcing and the other half through investors, then just created the game with what they had, it would have probably been done by now and probably have been a pretty great game. But with a seemingly endless source of money and no investors or publishers to answer to, there's no pressure on Chris Roberts to stick to any sort of timetable so he keeps bouncing around from one cool new feature to the next. He did a great job of reinvigorating the space sim genre with Star Citizen, but if he doesn't get his head out of the clouds and get the damn game finished then he could get passed by all the other space sims in development right now and no one will care when/if he actually gets SC finished
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote