View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I feel so bad when I read those stories, because I can totally see it happening. My kids are 13 and 15 now, so I think we're good, but man, I remember every day sitting down at my desk and going through my head that I really did drop them off. I remember a couple time going back to my car to make sure I really did drop them off. The closest I ever came was missing the turn a couple times and realizing a few blocks late. Also, living in a place where they'd die pretty quickly on a summer day makes it even more terrifying.

I remember some of those early weeks where one or the other was up literally every hour of the night for weeks in a row, and add in something like a boss calling and saying he needs to talk to you when you get in, and I could totally see being on autopilot especially with a sleeping baby in a rear facing child seat.
Something similar to this happened to me. I dont have young kids anymore, but for years I'd bring my dog with me to work.

It was just part of the morning routine, wake up, get ready for work, grab my stuff which I usually prepare the previous night so I can just grab it and go.

Get the dog, go to work.

But when the Pandemic started and my wife started working from home full time I stopped bringing the dog to work with me.

In the beginning there were a few times I got to work and thought: 'Oh crap! Wheres my dog??'

Before remembering that the world was ending and my wife was riding it out at home with my dog.

It takes nothing.

You do the same routine for years and it only takes a slight hiccup to disturb it. Your wife has an early morning dentist appointment or something and you have to take the kids to school/daycare.

Its not part of your normal routine and once you're in the car your brain just goes to 'Normal Routine Mode.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: