View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #1564
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
newbie bike repair question:

last year my season ended due to a hard crash that bent my rear derailleur hangar, so i got a hanger adjuster tool and re-aligned it, great!

however in re-installing the drailleur, it won't screw in tight with the hangar, if that makes sense. if i try to tighten it against the hangar, it sort of slips back to being 2-3 turns looser

i noticed when putting the adjuster tool in, it pushed out a lot of black rubbery stuff, do i need to buy some locktite or grease or something to secure it in there?

as well, the cogs kind of...bounce? for lack of a better word - is that normal? it doesnt look like the wheel is out of true or anything, just the cogs sort of rhythmically pulse while the wheel is spinning. i dont remember seeing that before, but i'm really new at this
It sounds exactly like the derailleur hangar is stripped out. If it holds a very very small amount of torque before loosening up, that’s exactly what a stripped thread does. Cogs on the cassette, is it possible the wheel isn’t true to the dropouts? Even a bit of debris can throw alignment off.

Probably bans me, but:
2018 Norco Bigfoot 2 - *large* - Red/Black scheme up for sale. Seriously so little used the tires still have their moulding tags. Pretty disappointed in myself for never getting out there and enjoying it, it’s just sitting around my place longing to be enjoyed. If anyone here is interested, PM me for details before it goes up on Kijiji.

Last edited by 81MC; 02-07-2020 at 03:10 PM.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote