View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
This would be true if there were any indications that the Sedins were a negative influence in the locker room as Iginla was rumoured to be. They have been consummate professionals who have been leaders on and off the ice. If there were players who I would want as mentors for young talent, the Sedins would be near the top of the list.... incidentally Vanek would be near the bottom.
Oh. I hadnt realized that they'd played a few seasons on a terrible team on the last year of their contracts and what could be the end of their careers, at least with Vancouver.

Come on, I know I dont have to spell this out. That was then and this is now. I have no quarrel with the Sedins, but anyone who is on their Victory Lap (end of career) and playing for a team that is, quite frankly, going to be bad.

This year is going to be an aberration, so its hard to point to past behaviour as anything truly indicative.

You are right, they have never indicated this, but they've also never been on a lottery team at the end of their careers. I'm not saying they're going to phone it in, I'm just saying their attitudes may change. Thats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Other than Boeser, who's all but guaranteed a spot, these are 23-24 year old guys were talking about here. You don't want to throw them to the wolves, but what do you thinks going to happen next year? At that point, you'll have no choice but to throw them to the wolves, and and limited guys left to shoulder the burden. Unless you think guys like Gagner and Eriksson are going do it. They had the right idea toward the end of the year last year, we saw them giving these guys opportunities. Now this year, instead of moving forward with that plan, they go and sign Gagner, Burmistrov and now Vanek. One or two to fill gaps and can play for a few years sure, but if you're going to gamble, do it with an eye to the future. Vaneks best years are past him and his presence offers little to no upside to the long term success of the team.
Right, and I see where you're going and I get that. At some point these guys are going to have to sink or swim. But it cant be all of them at the same time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote