View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 07:04 AM   #107
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
I do agree to some extent that the schooling model is not meeting the needs of students. But in order to move ahead with what we need students to acquire to be successful citizens requires us to envision that school might have to look very different than what we think and value today. Standardized tests that assess memorization skills still appear to be the only way we communicate performance with the public. Test scores being down are instantly reported by news outlets because it’s easy and an engaging topic.
And while test scores are important, it is so heavily emphasized as a metric of learning that teachers are afraid to do anything that would deviate from making students memorize how to write a diploma exam; instead of teaching conceptually or trying to connect their classroom concepts to the outside world in problem solving scenarios. Every grade 12 teacher knows that their class’ diploma test marks become publicly available information and are analyzed by administration and downtown management. It is an immense amount of pressure that pushes teacher to teach students how to write a multiple choice test.

I’ll say I haven’t met a single parent who does not want their child to develop sustainable learning skills to be successful in the workplace, but in the same vein, many parents will also get mad when school boards try new practices to modernize the system. The loudest voices are often coming from parents who were successful in their own schooling experience, and see any changes as unnecessary. Parents who grew up disenfranchised by school will often not talk about it because it was such a terrible experience for them.

There are so many other metrics of high school success that I wish we would discuss, but those aren’t as flashy as test scores. I also will say CBE management is getting better at looking at these alternative metrics. I wish we would move beyond rote memorization, but I just don’t think the public, especially in this province, is ready to see this change.
I don’t feel like kids in high school today are doing a lot of rote memorization though. Classes like bio, sure there’s a lot of memorization because of the topic and what’s needed. But a lot of the other classes are focused on themes and ideas and not just on the “facts” that people just Google these days.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote