View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #1712
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
It is hard not to be optimistic about Canada’s chances, but we’ve all been let down before. I hope that they come out firing and don’t take anything for granted. This squad is too good to piss away this lifeline they’ve been given after Covid mercifully forced Concacaf to drop that terrible qualifying format.
I'm as jaded as most on the hope that the CSA and the media partners build in to coverage, but I think the disappointment doesn't come in the next two games, rather down the line after a good result or two followed by bungled opportunities.

And until we beat a team that has ever played in the Finals, there isn't much to be excited about the chances. None of these minnows so far, Haiti potentially in the next round (1974) has.

But you're right, I think it is vital they take full advantage of this chance and qualify for next year. To build genuine fan and public excitement that they can carry through 4 more years, get more eyes, chatter and general interest on Canadian soccer, and thus sponsorship (which the CSA will mismange) due to being on the world stage in 2022 and forward in that time, as well as to help in getting some of the younger guys to committ to Canada vs their other options.

I just cringe at the shrug of the shoulders and the defeatist "hey at least we will be there in 2026 no matter what" messaging if they don't make it this year. It's all in front of them, they'll be underdogs for sure in the final groupings, but have the individual quality to compete I think, and a good coach that should get them playing as a single unit too. So it will largely be a mental task.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: