View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I skimmed the thread, but in addition to what has been mentioned, some things that I did/ wish I did:

- 2x6 studs instead of 2x4. Better for electrical and insulation, as well as being stronger.
- Run coax and Cat6 to the garage. Internet, TV, phone, etc. I like having a landline in the garage as it's the place I am most likely to need 911.
- Foam under the garage floor. Makes a huge difference working in there in the winter.
- As mentioned, stub wall the entire perimeter.
- Also as mentioned, drainage. You have an advantage with that slope that you can run it outside and through the apron.
- Can you bump the one side out to 22'? 34' the other way is awesome, but those extra 2 feet the other way might make or break things.
- With electrical, in addition to what was said about never too many plugs, I went with double gang boxes so each set of outlets can handle 4 plugs. I also alternated along the wall, so every other plug was on a different circuit. A few times you need a compressor running beside a table saw.
2x6 is in the plan, it doesn't cost much more in the scheme of things. I was pushing for 21' wide, but have to settle at 20 with that plan as it is close to the house and would start blocking the kitchen window. My wife vetoed that. 20 should be fine with the staggered vehicle parking as shown in my first image.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote