Thread: Cycling Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #44
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Hybrid is what you are looking for, but I hate hybrids myself, because they usually have MTB gearing and shocks, which are useless on roads, and some sort of semi knobbed tire.. People underestimate how much of a difference road gearing makes in terms of the effort/speed equation. It's massive. On a MTB most people struggle to stay at 20 kph, on a roadie, that is cruising speed.

The category that I love is relatively new, fitness bikes. Essentially they are compact geometry road bikes, with a flat bar, and usually a carbon fork and a semi gripped 700 x 28 tire (which is fine on light terrain). And most of them have lower end road components, built to take a lot of abuse, and keep them a little less stealy.

The Devinci Olso SL I bought is awesome. 21.4 pounds, comfy and fast. I bought it at Lifesport in Kensington when I was growing frustrated trying to find one of these bikes locally at a fair price. The only thing I could find even close to what I wanted was the Cannondale Quick raw, which was $1500. This bike was $550 less, and it fit me and my needs better. Also Canadian made which is a big bonus with Devinci. Trek made a couple bikes that are similar, with worse components for close to double the price.

Go down to Lifesport, they have a ton of these styles of bikes, and unlike a lot of bike shoppes, they will give you a deal if you ask. I got 10% off the $950 msrp.
Awesome tip there. I have been thinking of getting a road bike because right now I'm riding a tank of a comfort/hybrid bike and I'm sick of getting passed by pudgy guys on road bikes. (What can I say, I'm vain.) But I just can't bring myself to getting anally raped by Shimano to the tune of $1500 for the inflated price of a bike with their road bike series componentry.