View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #9253
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Nothing earth shattering but FWIW, LeBrun on the Flames at the trade deadline:

https://www.fanragsports.com/flames/...iece-up-front/

Quote:
The problem, of course, is that they traded their first and second-round pick in this year’s draft for Travis Hamonic – so they didn’t have the normal currency at hand. They were going to have to be a little more outside the box in how they can go about that. And whether that meant trading a Sam Bennett to get that high-end winger, or a Jon Gillies, or another prospect in the organization – I don’t know how you go about it. Or I guess the first-round pick in 2019.

“And I do know for a fact there were discussions between Calgary and Ottawa on Mike Hoffman, as there were also conversations between Calgary and Montreal on Max Pacioretty – among others.

“But whatever the reason is, and we can only assume that the ask was so high from both the Senators and the Habs that the Flames were hoping it would come down at the last moment and never did. I don’t know.

Quote:
“I think the reason Calgary was more focused on guys like Hoffman and Pacioretty to some degree is that those guys weren’t rentals,” noted the Insider. “And I think what scared the Flames probably is that if they go out and get a rental and he walks two months later and you miss the playoffs, isn’t that the worst-case scenario ever? So I think there was some concern about going after a rental.

“Although some teams have. I mean, the Devils went out and got Grabner and Maroon and there’s certainly no guarantee they’re going to make the playoffs. But I guess Ray Shero felt ‘I’ve got lots of draft picks and I hope these guys can not only help us get in…’ It’s not just about what you do with them when you’re in, but these guys – maybe he’ll re-sign one or both of these guys.

“And again, I think the Flames were a little gun-shy because they traded their first and second last summer for Hamonic, so how do you get in on Kane. Kane went for – outside of the prospect – he went for a conditional first/second round pick, depending on how you want to look at it. Basically, if the Sharks either re-sign Evander Kane or win the Cup, it becomes a first for Buffalo. I’m not sure about winning the Cup, but certainly re-signing Kane is a possibility. I think that’s why San Jose made that deal – to give Evander Kane a real serious test drive and see if he could fit into their team culture there in San Jose. And if they like what they see, I think they will sign him. And then that becomes a first-round for Buffalo.

“Again, where’s that first-round for Calgary. It would have had to have been 2019, which I guess you can do; but that means that you’re out 2018 and 2019 from your first-round picks, and that’s tough to swallow.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: