View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #64
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Every used vehicle ive purchased gets an independent assessment. They're called "Pre Purchase Inspections." Cost around $200. And they usually are great negotiation tools. First I confirm with the dealer that they are comfortable with the mechanic shop doing the inspection. Then I tell the mechanic to send a copy to the dealer and me at the same time to make it all transparent.

- first one, vw dealer, no issues, bought car. Happy camper

- second one, was private sale, mechanic found $9000 of issues. Walked away. Dude on other side was a real loser. Tried to convince me independent mechanic was crooked. Then said I was trying to pull a fast one on him. Told me to take it for a test drive so it would prove how great the car was and how the mechanic was stupid. What a bum. Emailed me back two weeks later wanting to chat. Lol.

- third one, was from a dealer. I managed to negotiate $300 off the car for the break wear and they did an additional $200 of work in filter replacements and other minor issues. Have had car 3 years now, no issues.

- fourth one was from a dealer. Dealer did about $150 of work post inspection. Had minor issues with vehicle after first 18 months. Had more to do with buying a coupe than anything else (under carriage takes a beating).

Last edited by GullFoss; 11-16-2019 at 12:06 AM.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post: