View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 05:35 PM   #1146
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Of course no UFA is generally worth the money they get over a 7-8 year contract.

But if you want to compete for a Stanley Cup, you need to plug your nose and play that game. You can rebuild when the contract stinks.
I agree. Lose Johnny now and you’re rebuilding and I’m ok with a rebuild now too so why would I care about setting up for a future rebuild? I’m not against it but you need to set yourself up for a good chance at success now too. Makes no sense to sign him for $11 mil for 8 years and put yourself in a position to never have a couple year run at the cup for the entire 8 years

$11 mil is setting up for very little chance now or later. That’s why 8 years is ok if you can squeeze him to around $9 mil. Draft well clean up some cap you have a chance. You’re dreaming if you think signing Johnny for $11 mil for 8 years will allow this team any chance to win now.

How do you tell Tkachuk he’s worth $9 mil? Sign both for $11 mil or trade Tkachuk? No chance this team that already isn’t a lock for the playoffs is getting better with these contracts. Might as well rebuild now if that is the case

Unless you resign Johnny and right after clean house and rebuild? He might be slightly upset about that if that was the plan

8 years is good but I just a bit concerned that Trelivings opinion on this isn’t the same. He has never given anyone including 23 year old Johnny 8 years. 0 contracts in 7 years. IMO that’s why it’s not done. I’m not against 8 years but I’m not Brad Treliving
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote