View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 06:57 PM   #1324
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Why?

Maybe I'm an optimistic, but a metro area with a population of 1.3M and a tradition of youth soccer and national team support seems like a good market with the right strategy.

I don't think Edmonton fans are that vindictive that they'll throw away a professional team. I've lived here for years now and I don't get that vibe.
I was a season ticket holder when I lived there from 2013-2015.

The indifference to the team there blew my mind, and the level of indifference has gone through the roof since.

A better stadium situation is mandatory. Where to put it and who wants to pay the check for it? Beats me. There was also lots of infighting and alienation within the local soccer community over the team.

When it comes to minor league sports, there’s only one chance to make a great first impression, build hype and attract supporters by making the club “an event” like in Halifax (whose stadium location is masterful). I don’t see how anyone does that now after the last 10 years.

Did the Faths do everyone wrong? Absolutely, but can someone come in and pull soccer out of the absolute crater it is in now there without at least the benefit of a blank slate? That’s the bigger problem. I just don’t see it.

Let’s not pretend attendance is going well at the other CPL clubs these days..

Last edited by Johnny199r; 12-31-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post: