View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #71
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I'm all for helping refugees in times like these. But I was in total disagreement with the way it became an election issue and the various parties promises to bring in a certain number by X date.

Given the huge logistical issues, processing issues, and ensuring that every refugee gets the right support from the government, this is one promise I hope the Liberals can forfeit if needed. I hope they don't try to push for their arbitrary number if the goal seems unrealistic, impossible, or flat out detrimental to the lives of refugees.

As much as we like to think that all these refugees are fleeing ISIS, that is only half true. The migrations really accelerated once the Western bombing missions picked up. Being collateral damage due to the actions of the good guys wasn't necessarily a better option than being killed or forced into military action by ISIS.

The decision to take on refugees should have been made simultaneously with the decision to take on combat roles in Syria, and the logistics should have been worked on from day one. It's too bad that it had to become an election issue for all the parties to make a commitment (the CPC ended up virtually matching what the Liberals offered).

If you can't afford the costs to take on refugees, then you really can't afford to be in the conflict period. I just hope that Russia is willing to take in as many now that they are pretty much corralling them out of Syria( of course they won't).