View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #218
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claeren View Post

Problem is that Calgary has FAR more land within 1hr of the core, more forward looking suburb/commuter-oriented LRT infrastructure, more forward planned road infrastructure and fewer competing uses for perifery land - no Oshawa, no Hamilton, etc.
Doesn't that contradict your statement below?
If it's better planned/more convienient etc shouldn't it be worth more?

Quote:
Considering all of those factors, I am not sure how Toronto (Golden Horseshoe) can house ~7M people while growing in absolute numbers at a much faster pace and charge them on average less for their home then Calgary can at 1.1M people even if they are further from the core.
I'm not sure the price difference is really there. Or maybe what I mean is I'm not sure the apples to apples comparison is really there.

A place like Ajax should be compared to what, high river? Are we really more expensive here?

In a way I don't disagree. I think the prices in the burbs in CGY are probably proportionately too high. The rising tide floated all boats equally, but they won't all stay there as the tide goes out kinda thing.

I'm just not sure there's some long term systemic difference. And I'm curious. 'Cause i have money tied up in it. So contrary opinions are good.