View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #55
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Great post.

We can all certainly read too much into comments, but the Monahan interview with Steinberg at the NHL Awards was pretty interesting. To paraphrase he was already working on speed/explosiveness and then he said something that I've discussed with friends ever since. "I need to be a completely different player next season".

What is that?

I'm guessing they want him to use his size more. I don't think you can expect him to turn into a greasy player over night, but maybe get into the difficult areas and stand your ground.

Could speak to less perimeter and turnover conversion and more fight for the tough areas and score his patented garbage through some physical battles.
I hadn't heard this at all. It is music to my ears!

I think the number 1 way the Flames can realistically improve is Tkachuk and Monahan becoming faster and more explosive. Neither are great skaters, but if they can take it up a notch, I think that would help so much.

I disagree that the biggest problem against Colorado was a lack of physicality, although the Flames definitely made it too easy on the Avs' defencemen. I think it was a lack of speed. The forwards couldn't keep up with Mackinnon et al. and this meant the defencemen had to back off and allow the Avs easy entry into the offensive zone.

If Tkachuk and Monahan can get faster, that would make a world of difference. Don't get me wrong, I love both players, but I think its okay for us to admit that neither are burners and it would help if they got faster.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post: