Thread: Shaw Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #558
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Usually hardwired is better, but depending on the age of your desktop, it could be a number of things. The network adapter may limit you to 100 Mbps if it isn't a gigabit card, but I would still expect to see it faster than 21. It could be misconfigured, you could have a faulty cat5 cable, there could be something in between like a switch that is causing trouble. It could also be the Shaw router, which are notorious for providing bad wifi, although I wouldn't expect it to be that poor if hardwired.

The next thing I would try is another device (if possible) hardwired to the modem/router, and work backwards from there. If it persists, try a different cable. Etc.
Thanks. I've ruled out the cable and the modem so far. I do wonder if this coaxial outlet may have an issue? I feel like that would slow the wifi too though, not just the hard wired internet. I've also updated a network driver so maybe it's the desktop itself.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote