Thread: Home Brew Kits
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #124
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use an omega juicer to do my apples when I did it. I think its a bit more efficient than a press and gets out more juice as the pulp is almost dry. I got just over 5 gal of juice out of 2 buckets of apples.

Don't dilute, theres no reason to. The yeast need the sugar to create alcohol, so if you dilute all you're doing is dripping your original gravity, and subsequently affecting your final gravity. Full strength (or, as I said, with some added sugar) only. You need a hydrometer, measure the OG of your juice, pick your yeast (I was wrong on the danstar, its Lalvin EC1118 is the champagne yeast you can get locally, pitch it and keep it room temp as stable as you can. The fermentation will complete within a few days, but you want it to settle out so you can leave it for another week or two. This will help the yeast clean up some flavors, and will let the yeast also fall out (like secondarying, hence why you don't need it). Measure your final gravity, and plug it into a calculator to work out your ABV. At this point taste some and see if its as dry/tart/sweet/etc as you like and tune your flavor. Remember any sugar you add will likely be eaten by yeast and just increase ABV, so you need to find a non fermentable solution (stevia, lactose which is not recommended for cider but just as an example of a non fermentable sugar), and add until you're happy.

Some backsweetening happens by people killing the yeast (metabisulphite or campden), then adding traditional sugar. Don't do this unless you're force carbonating. They will not bottle condition if you do this.

When you bottle it, be careful not to disturb the sediment at the bottom of the fermentor, it does nothing but looks cloudy. Remember, you need yeast in the cider to create the carbonation so you don't want to separate the yeast and the juice completely. There should be enough in suspension, so don't stir it in.

Some people use bottling buckets, and mix in the sugar for carbonation in there, but its just as easy to buy coopers carbonation tabs (https://www.amazon.ca/Coopers-DIY-Br.../dp/B003E5ZYB8), drop into the bottle and put away for a couple weeks. THen you don't need to mess with transfers and stuff.

When its done carbonating, put in the fridge for a few days standing, let the sediment fall to the bottom and firm up, and be gentle when pouring. Some sediment is fine, but remember that you started a secondary fermentation so it might taste a bit yeasty.

As always feel free to PM me any questions you have.