View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
I'm looking to get a home theatre system, nothing to fancy, but I think I want more then just a sound bar. Where is the best planned in Calgary to do this shopping. I live in the deep south so something down here is preferred but not required. I was. Debating dropping into London drugs as they seem to have good selection and are localish.

Thoughts?

TIA
I would say that London Drugs has an underrated selection. Definitely worth strolling through. I believe they carry Tannoy and you may wish to give PSB a listen. Bring high quality music you are intimately familiar wish - not just whatever they have on their demo system. Although unlike others here, I am not a fan of Klipsch' typical offerings.

The Audio Room carries PMC and Tannoy speakers, which you ought to give a listen to. The former is an excellent brand seen in some of the finer mastering studios, and the latter is also an acclaimed brand.

I also suggest dropping into K&W Audio in downtown. While I don't necessarily see any brands that interest me, I can say that their custom installs are probably the best in the city if that's the route you want to consider. No harm in window shopping.

I'd also suggest considering looking into non-locally available brands such as Salk Sound, Amphion Loudspeakers, Danley Sound Labs, Seaton Sound, Ascend Acoustics, RBH Sound. Or if a little bid of woodworking is an option, DIYSoundgroup's SEOS-based designs. These are the brands I would personally be putchasing if I were in the market.

My biggest suggestion is to direct your budget towards speakers rather than electronics (recievers etc). And then consider how those speakers will be interacting with the acoustics in your listening space before electronics (this begins at the speaker in its measurements but also extends to the room acoustics). And of course aesthetic fit might be a consideration. Finally for a surround setup, dedicate more of your budget to the front L/R mains than the side or rear speakers. And be careful not to buy a poorly timbre matched center speaker, this can ruin the experience. I'd rather eschew a center than use a bad one.

Have fun.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 12-13-2019 at 03:40 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: