View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #31
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
It is interesting that Hockey is now catching up to other sports and entertainment in this regard. We have seen issues raised with TV/film personalities, gymnastic coaches and other sports, including soccer. Here in the UK there have been a number of coaches that have been found guilty of abusing young boys, who were supposed to be in their care as they were away from home.
I do not play sports at any level any more but I get the impression that this is more of a ripple in Soccer rather than a wave. A few cases here and there but still dealt with very much on the hush hush, so I still wonder if the sport has pulled ranks together to stop more coming out.
The first few times it's just ripples, ripples, ripples, without not much changing. With #metoo it took literally decades. But those ripples always create cracks in the wall of silence and apathy. Then at some point the wall will have so many cracks that a big enough push will just break it down.

Of course the difference here is that #metoo already happened. People in power now know that kind of stuff can happen, that with social media it's a lot harder to kill these stories. They've also seen how it can bring down people who thought they were untouchable.

Eventually people in power will figure out how to handle a #metoo-like wave, but right now they're genuinely scared by this stuff, and might actually try to react by forcing change from the top down. Because nobody wants to be employing the Harvey Weinsteins of hockey when his bomb goes off, let alone be remembered as one of those guys.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: