View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Its coming but there's a ways to go yet.

My car was a fraction of the price of an EV, and I get 750km-800km per tank of gas (70L).

With my work commute, hockey travel, visiting parents etc the range of 300km in winter is non-starter for me. Not to mention lack of stations, and how long it takes to charge.

Until it legit becomes more viable than a gas powered car (affordability, range, charging stations) I just have no intent going down that road.

But like I said, it's coming. Just a matter of when.
Well yeah, but your car probably has a fraction of the performance of the top trim Model 3, too. When you go shopping for a car that can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, there aren't many that can achieve that, let alone for the price of a Model 3 Performance.

Nissan Leaf is $43k, so starts at a price approaching more people's budgets, but then you'd be stuck driving around a Nissan, which is the vehicle equivalent of a penalty box. I think they have a pitiful range as well, which is typical of Nissan - do what everyone else is doing but way worse and in an ugly package.

Impossible to argue with your other points, though. This is where the other guys are right about hybrids. That's such a great middle ground on this stuff. There are even plug-in hybrids now, which is cool. You could run on electric for your daily commute and running around, but the gas engine kicks in when you need it for longer trips. That's great if you're looking for fuel economy - to me what I find attractive about EVs is their speed, so I'm not interested in a commuter-style electric vehicle. I would want something that blows me away when I floor it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote