Thread: Shaw Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #1379
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
My apologies if some of these suggestions have already been tossed around (Im sure they have at some points in the past, but Ill throw them out again).

A couple simple things Shaw customers on the new Ignite equipment should be doing to improve their situation- 1/ most definitely use a network cable to your ignite tv box. Wired is always going to be more stable and reliable than wifi. The equipment will auto connect to your wifi out of the box, which gives people a quick and seamless set up, but you should connect it back to your Ignite Gateway with a CAT6- and wire in all your Tv related devices for that matter: PS, Apple tv, Firestick etc. Unfortunately, the new gateways only have 2 ports, so you might have to buy a cheap gigabit switch over Amazon.

2/ As for wifi, the gateways will automatically have band steering turned on, but in my strong opinion, this should absolutely be disabled and 2.4GHz/5GHz separated, after which you rely mostly on the 5GHz connection. 2.4GHz is very unreliable in highly congested neighbourhoods with all the competing networks. This can be problematic in a basement of if you live in a large house- at which point you either have to look at options for extending your network or simply going with 2.4GHz when you are far from your gateway.

These suggestions are particularly relevant for the new equipment, as I believe band steering until somewhat recently was off by default (?), and the tv boxes were not wireless (coax).
Just to add on, Rogers has a guide for Band Steering issues that I found helpful: https://www.rogers.com/support/inter...coda-ac-modems
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anyonebutedmonton For This Useful Post: