View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 08:39 AM   #20
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Yeah I knew someone would tag onto that... and it's not intended to be antagonistic or pro-this or anti-that. Go back a few years and it started as LGB, then LGBQ, then etc etc. The reality is that for the purposes of this forum and conversation everyone knows what I mean. If you knew me personally you'd know very well it's not intended as hate or whatever. So don't make it into something it isn't. I simply didn't wish to type it all out repeatedly (call me lazy if you must) as I knew I'd typo it and then that would cause something that wasn't intended either. So my apologies... and as a followup do you want everyone here to type that all out each time or can we abbreviate for the sake having a conversation?
It’s been, at very least, “LGBT” for 30+ years. I usually find it totally understandable when people just use LGBT as it was a long running term (I generally just stop at Q). It’s a bit weird to use LGB, especially considering the only common usage of it now is from anti-trans people or people who, for whatever reason, are specifically talking about issues solely faced by LGB people and not trans people.

I, personally, have never met someone who vilified others for simply doing “nothing.” But beyond that, being concerned that someone will think you’re against LGBTQ because you don’t attend events or engage in “the lifestyle” is absurd. The only time doing “nothing” crosses that line is when people purposely avoid doing something with the stated reason of not wanting to be seen associating with or supporting LGBTQ issues. Intent matters. And it’s pretty low bar. You look at the criticism some NHL players got for “doing nothing” and it revolved around them refusing to wear a particular colourway of practice jersey (something they always wear anyway) because they didn’t want to be seen as being supportive of LGBTQ people.

I gather from some other posts that you’re pretty old, and I think your view on the matter just stems from extended ignorance and not hate or being anti-anything. You don’t have to attend Pride or “engage in the lifestyle” but if you want to be respectful you could at least avoid purposely using the wrong acronym because you’re “too lazy.” We’re talking about an extra letter or two, and the difference is whether we’re talking about issues relevant to trans and queer people or not. Since we’re talking about issues relevant to them, you could at least do that much.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: