View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #1313
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland's consistency issues are way overblown IMO. Ferland is not an elite player, and will not make elite money. Elite players are the ones that are usually much more consistent at scoring.

Ferland is still a useful player. Yes, he is actually still very useful if he isn't a wrecking ball like he was in the Vancouver series. There is literally nobody in hockey that can play that way and not be injured.

Ferland hits hard consistently, even when they aren't spectacular hits. Just watch the opposing player after he gets nailed by what seems like a 'meh' hit by Ferland - they feel it.

Ferland also has a very good shot, has great speed, plays a sound defensive game and is fantastic around the boards. I would welcome him back with open arms as long as his salary/term wasn't too much for too long. Signing him might be the best 'fix' for this team in trying to move Lindholm to center - Ferland replaces him on the top line where that entire line had produced well. You can always move him up and down the line-up as needed/as necessary.

I would actually love him much more than signing Dzingel. I would bet that Ferland is more likely to hit 20 goals than Dzingel is, while contributing more in other areas. It is looking more and more like Dzingel caught a bit of lightning in a bottle with Ottawa, and I would be hesitant to give the money and term he has already reportedly turned down from Ottawa when they were trying to re-sign him.

Calgary needs to add size, and that size absolutely must come with some speed and skill as well. Who else is a better fit, quite honestly? I wouldn't hate Maroon on the team, but he isn't exactly a burner. Reaves would be great, but his contract isn't cheap and you can't really slot him into the top 6 and expect things to go really well.

It will be interesting to see what Ferland signs for eventually.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: