View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Chicago entered the draft without a first, but a handful of 2nds and 3rds. The goal was to target high skill players and re-stock an ECHL team that will see six graduating to the AHL.

Round 2
31st overall: Jason Robertson
For my first selection it was a matter of waiting to see who fell out of the first round. Robertson has lethal offensive capabilities and is a welcome addition to the Hawks. Hopefully he is picked in the first round next weekend to a team that gives him time to develop.

32nd overall: Filip Chytil
Chytil had been a targeted player for me for weeks. After reading about his play and quiet rise up some mock drafts as a potential sleeper pick in the first round, I had originally hoped he would be around at 47. When Bob McKenzie's list was leaked and Chytil was listed at 31, I decided to take him with 32. Highly skilled, his measurements at the combine revealed his size (6'2", 195lbs) where he had been thought of as small and slight previously.

47th overall: Joni Ikonen
For this pick it was a another instance of waiting to see would fall to me. Pretty much every pick from 33 to 46 was a guy that I had interest in, but I was happy to see Ikonen available at 47. Another prospect I'm hoping may sneak into the first round next Friday, Ikonen doesn't have size, but definitely has skill. This pick also allowed me to finally get some measure of revenge on Jiri for consistently selecting the prospect I want one spot before me.

51st overall: Johah Gadjovich
After taking a couple smaller, skilled guys I mixed things up a bit and took the hulking Gadjovich. Played well with Suzuki in Owen Sound this year, but it remains to be seen if Gadjovich is simply a Chucko to Suzuki's Zajac or if the big guy can play on his own. I considered Antoine Morand here, but thought I would be able to get him at 56.

56th overall: Jake Leschyshyn
With targeted prospects Morand and Heponiemi being selected, I opted for NHL bloodlines in Leschyshyn. I'm hoping that being buried behind Steel and Brooks limited his minutes and PP time and with them gone, Leschyshyn can move to the top line.

Round 3
61st overall: Scott Reedy
In my prep for the draft I consistently read about NDTP prospects that were good, but not great and similarly skilled. Reedy may not have the offensive skill as Norris or Mismash, but he is solid defensively and will likely play in the NHL. Hopefully a couple years in college help him to find his offense.

70th overall: Lukas Elvenes
Back to picking small Eurpean skilled players. I had read that Elvenes had been identified as under-rated so much that he was starting to be considered over-rated. Another highly skilled player that will likely need at least 2-3 years before he is considered for an NHL spot.

83rd overall: Dmitri Samorukov
This pick was essentially made for me as guys that I had identified kept getting picked leaving Samorukov. He's got size and some skill and took a while to adjust to the OHL which may have hurt his rankings. Hopefully he continues to improve and make this pick look smart.

Round 4
103rd overall: Mikey Anderson
Pickings started to get pretty slim by this point for me. I hoped that Tyszka would fall to 103, but when Nashville got him at 94, it was a matter of attempting to maximize potential. Anderson is a solid defensive prospect that will likely spend 4 years in college. We'll see how he develops.

Round 5
130th overall: Patrik Hrehorcak
A dart on the board. Scrambling a bit after going on a food run, I attempted to find someone that hasn't been picked and had some skill. Hrehorcak has skill, but is small, and will likely never come over to North America. If he surprises and has a career, I'll tell everyone I targeted him like the Red Wings and Datsyuk years ago.

Overall, I'm pleased with my draft. Got three guys I really like (Robertson, Chytil, Ikonen) and four more that have potential (Gadjovich, Leschyshyn, Reedy, and Elvenes) depending on where they get drafted next weekend.

Last edited by Tilley; 06-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Tilley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post: