View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Team Draft Reviews

Rather than have individual threads, I thought we could consolidate.
I'll start us off with the 2017 Minnesota Wild draft review.

Overall Strategy

Lots of talk of this draft being weak. And I agree to a point. The way I saw this draft was that it lacked true franchise players at the top end. In addition, I see it being a very shallow draft. However between around 7-45 I largely think it is a pretty standard draft.
Given that I approached things a little different this year. Often I have a butt-load of picks through all rounds, but I saw little value beyond the 2nd so I concentrated my picks to the top 60 including make a draft day deal with The Droopy One sending 5 thirds for just two seconds. Not the type of deal I normally make.

On to the picks

#4 - Cale Makar

Why I like him:
I saw Makar has the most dynamic player in the draft with the highetst ceiling but also a lot of risk. But in terms of a guy who can really change a game - he's the guy in the draft that can do that.

Who else was considered:
Came down to Gabe Vilardi, Miro Heiskanen, or Makar. I decided I wouldn't take Heiskanen even though he likely goes 3 at the draft. I just don't see enough fantasy upside with him. So it came down to Gabe or Makar - and Goffie makes the decision for me by selecting Gabe.

#7 Casey Mittelstadt
Why I like him:
I was hot/cold on Casey during draft prep. At one point- he was my guy at #4 but I cooled him a little. But I like his offensive upside. Long-term project.

Who else was considered
Figured this would come down to Glass or Mittlestadt, and again I was waffling on which I would take. Again the decision is made for me.

#8 Elias Pettersson
Why I like him:
Was scared that someone would take him at 5 or 6. I see him as being under-rated on most lists. His production level this year in his league basically gives him a very high probability of being an effective NHLer. I think he has amongst the highest upside in the draft. Thrilled he was there even though I figured he would be

Who else was considered
No one. This was my guy here.

#14 Owen Tippet
Why I like him:
Another guy that I was hot/cold on - originally figuring I would take him at 7/8. However, I became concerned that he scores many "junior goals" not unlike a guy like Jake Virtanen. However at 14, he's good value given many consider him to be the top sniper in the draft.

Who else was considered
Was looking at guys like Suzuki, Necas, Andersson and Liljegren all here knowing that someone would drop. Happy that it was Tippet but those other guys would have been OK too. Knew I would have a good pick here.

#15 Michael Rasmussen
Why I like him:
Size and skill. Which mean someone probably takes him too high in the NHL draft. However at 15 I think its the right slot for him.

Who else was considered
It was either him or Eeli Tolvanen.

#19 Ryan Poehling
Why I like him:
One of the youngest players in the draft and has a ton of great attributes.

Who else was considered
I acquired #19 specifically to target this guy so I was very happy he was there. I don't think he dropped - this is just exactly where I saw him going. Didn't really have a plan B

#28 Josh Norris

Why I like him: Another guy with just great all around skills who has seemingly been moving up lists

Who else was considered:
Seriously considered taking goalie Jake Oettinger here but decided to chance him slipping in the 2nd...which leads us to...

#41 Henri Jokiharju
Watched Oettinger dropping right my lap, until Cheese reached his wrinkly old man paw into that lap and grabbed him right before my pick. Henri is a good consolation prize - as a great skating, puck-moving blueliner.

#43 - Jaret Anderson Dolan
Strong two way centre that seems destined to go right around this number

#48 - Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
This time it is Tilley that breaks me heart as he grabs Joni Ikonen the pick before me - a guy that I had been targeting at 48 the entire round. However, plan B is an obvious one as I would to draft a goalie in the 2nd and Luukkonen has way to many Ks not to be a great one. Has great physical stature for the modern day NHL goalie but performance has been uneven. But who knows with goalies. Worth a crack

That's it for the Wild. Generally happy with how things feel for me - I got the main guys I was targeting and came away with a lot of skilled prospects, using a 'home run' type approach to maximize upside.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 06-17-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: