View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #641
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I kind of hope it doesn’t continue for years. It’s a bit ridiculous that I know that every four years on or around 21 February It’s pretty much a lock that Canada and the US are going to play for the gold. For years we’ve waited For the other countries to catch up it just hasn’t happened. It’s hard to take this seriously as a winter Olympic event. I’d rather Canada and the US just played a beat of seven series. I didn’t even bother to watch the first game because I knew that the two would meet each other again for the gold.
It's the catch-22. Only way it will improve in other countries if there is a level for young athletes to aspire to, and providing a funding model for the national teams like the Olympics provides.

But that also means there is Olympic money available to Canada and the US to make their already strong programs, stronger, which keeps the gap wide.

I think as long as it remains a virtually no-extra cost event at the games they have no reason to take it out. For the hosts with the arenas it's more games to sell tickets to that justifies the cost. And it is the only real way a lot of these countries will fund programs and development at the lower levels.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote