View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #53
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
Hi everyone. I hope this is okay with the mods.

I run the Canadian operations of The Athletic, the new sports site which at this point includes coverage of the seven NHL teams in this country and 25 of the 31 teams overall. We're hiring more writers in Calgary and Edmonton for coverage of the Flames and Oilers for the 2018-19 season.

Here's the job post.

I know CP is the home for diehard Flames fans. This is a great community, one I used to lurk on ages ago before I joined the media. So I wanted to post here quickly and ask what folks think we could do to provide next level coverage of the team and win you over enough that you would subscribe? (Subscriptions typically cost about $48 for the year.) How do we become the best sports media outlet in the city?

I know a lot of you feel you may never pay for a site like ours, and that's totally fine. I get it. But, theoretically, what would it take to give you a product good enough that made it worthwhile, for around $4 a month?

(For those unaware, we currently have Eric Duhatschek, Kent Wilson and Scott Cruickshank writing out of Calgary, as well as our group of national writers led by Pierre LeBrun who weigh in on the Flames once in a while.)

Thanks for the feedback
Thanks for doing this, James.

I'd like to see a more technical analysis of team systems and play. For example, I want to understand how the Flames are setting up on the power play, the role of each individual player, and how it compares to other teams in the league. Gaskal has made a few fantastic posts of this type (example).

This sort of long-form analysis does more to help understand the game, having never played hockey at a competitive level. The majority of all content covering the Flames right now is either a written summary of the game scoresheet or some hot take of moves being made. The best articles are an analysis of team performance in some way, usually involving advanced stats nowadays. I rarely see content explaining in detail how the game was actually played.

I've considered paying for the Athletic in the past. I would pull the trigger if the articles could help me understand the game itself at a higher level.
wireframe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post: