View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #57
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I have a few airport expresses from back in the day (and take one when I travel to use as an AP) and In bridge mode they only extend the wireless signal and do not communicate through Ethernet for backhaul. However there was a “hack” to make it extend over Ethernet. As funny as it sounds those Apple airport extremes and express routers had great software and decent enough hardware to still beat out current routers (assuming you have ac clients and the airports were the newer AC versions). Performance wise however they are not even in the same weight class as the velop so I imagine there might have been an issue with the velop setup, hardware or locations.
Its funny you mention the travel router, I have an express I use for that purpose. Tuck it in a suitcase with an ethernet cable in a ziplock and its perfect for hotels. They're simple to use.

For simplicity and reliability I think the Orbi's have been better, with better performance, and more LAN ports, at the expense of being AC5300 I think instead of 6600, but like I said unless you're heavy hauling over your LAN you won't notice