View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #33
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Maybe someone in this thread can help me find my solution.

I'm lucky enough to have ethernet already wired into each room in the house when I bought it. The problem is I'm not sure how to set it up, ie where the input is. Our shaw modem can be set up right by where I assume the input to the rooms would be, but all there is is two panels of four inserts right beside each other with no labelling.

#1 will plugging ethernet through the shaw modem into the input work? #2 how do I go about finding the input? Guess and check? #3 can I then plug my own router using one of the ethernet ports in a room upstairs to generate the wifi?
I used an old laptop with an ethernet port the last time I did it.

This time, I decided to play like the pros and use a toner and probe kit: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.t...000750971.html Plug the tone generator into the jack in one of the rooms, turn it on, then go to your panel and use the probe to figure out which port belongs to that room. Label it, and do the next one.

As far as how you're plugging what into where, that depends on how your house is wired. If you're using the Shaw modem as a router, then you plug the ethernet ports from the Shaw modem into the panel ports, and then that will light up your ethernet ports in the house. If you have more ports in your home than ports on the Shaw router, either decide which are more important, or buy a gigabit switch, connect it to the modem, and plug the panel ports into the switch. You can also plug the Shaw modem into a single ethernet port in one room, then set up a network switch at your panel, and connect all the panel ports to that switch. I think that answers what you were asking.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: