View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #55
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
You're fighting a losing battle with irrelevant arguments.

The future is lightweight, low-power, interactive content on mobile devices. Flash just doesn't fit the bill anymore. Especially when you can get HD video through H.264 with considerably less overhead, and all the interaction through a completely standardized and open platform in HTML5, CSS and JavaScript.

I don't understand why you're having such a hard time adapting to what is clearly the future.

Edit: You're right about Silverlight, though. That will be interesting. I just took a quick look at the website for it, and I see nothing about HTML5 or anything else. I don't even get the whole Silverlight thing anyway, although I always thought it was supposed to be closer to Adobe Air than Adobe Flash.
What I am saying has nothing to do with you. Why not let me and other users enjoy all the flash content out there? If you don't want any of it, why keep rubbing it in other people's faces like how I keep saying I hate Apple

There's nothing wrong with future standards but I am always an advocate for retaining support for old formats so that people can enjoy old things. My primary interest in computers has never been professional software, but small developers, homebrew, home programming, etc. and Flash has the largest user base in that area. You could argue that I would like something like the app store concept, only I wish it was uncensored by Apple and accepted everything. I decide what I software I want to be able to use, not the company.

In the end, I firmly believe that is amazing work that there has been done in Flash and it is a shame to not be able to appreciate it simply because it is in the wrong format that doesn't jive with your future standards. I still have boxes of VHS tapes I need to convert to digital format one day. I always kept vinyl records, never got on the CD bandwagon. I still have large amounts of video in realplayer format (fortunately, there are realplayer codecs for MPC/VLC) that I won't ever be able to find in newer formats.

There is no reason why users should not be able to view and enjoy flash content. If Apple wants to encourage future standards, protect it's app store, maintain platform stability, etc. allow a 3rd party company to create a plugin for those who want to use it while Apple themselves could prevent people from making new flash content with their products or making any flash based apps.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-30-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote