View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I think the most interesting candidates, by a long shot are Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard. They are "new leaf" candidates that will get a lot of moderates and undecideds to take a look at the Democrats. I think both of these 2 are the biggest threats to Trump in a general election. I'm a right leaning moderate (mainly economics), but would take a serious look at either of these 2.

Bernie is divisive inside his own party by virtue of simply being straight, wealthy, white and male. He'll be in a #NeverTrump situation where large sections of his own party will never support him. He will create huge turmoil within the Democrat party that wont be a positive during a campaign.

Harris and Booker are the types that Trump hopes wins the Dem nom and runs against him. He would rather go up against an identity politics fueled, negative "if you dont vote for me you are a Nazi/white supremacist/anti woman/homophobe/etc" type of opponent than anyone else, which these 2 strike me as being this type. Especially Booker. Trump has the best chance of beating a candidate/campaign like that and retaining power.

I think Warren/Biden would get steam rolled.

At the end of the day though, I think the campaign messaging is going to be more important than the candidate.
I would just like to reiterate that the reason many in the democratic party are not big fans of Bernie is that he is NOT a democrat... To me that seems like a pretty big requisite. Even in his current senate re-election campaign he still is an independent. Being part of the democratic party means working together to help all democrats, not just being one when its beneficial to you. Great, he caucuses with the dems; that doesn't make him one.

He is obviously a much better choice to lead than Trump. But I really hope he does not win and that if he does lose out, that he rallies his supporters to actually support the candidate unlike last time.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote