View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #497
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
How much as the last year in the investment market affected you?
(yes, I realize not everyone on here is able to, or has the means, to save/invest equally. This posting isn't intended to raise issues with that).

Was looking at my statements... obviously a rough 6 months until Sept, but fortunately a decent rebound since then. I suspect a lot of people got very worried and pulled some of their investments and missed the rebound. I'm hoping that the overhype in the media has it all wrong (which most overhype has) and we look to a few decent years again on the markets. But too many things happening to think this is as sure-a-thing as I'd like... continued Canadian politics scaring international investors, obviously Ukraine, USA elections results and going into the next one, balancing of inflation versus prime rates, post-covid crazy, etc.

Anyways, I figure the last couple of years probably extended retirement by at least a year. sigh...

So... for those of you who retired... approx what age was that? or for those looking into the future when are you realistically hoping to pull the pin and start sailing into your version of your sunset?

Some light opinionated reading:

https://www.greaterfool.ca/2022/11/14/the-blessed-2/
I haven't touched my investments. They're close to being back to where they were before the bear market. I have all index based ETFs - ie XUU, XIU, XEQT, 100% equities. Even in downturns, dividends roll in.

People always panic sell for a loss during downturns. It's stupid, but they do it.

Interestingly, GIC rates are pretty good. I had to park 100k that I have in cash for a potential down payment for a house next year. I got close to 5% for a 1-year GIC.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote