View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #26
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The timing may be horrible politically, but the cost of expenditures would be years away.

The timing is probably perfect, IMO.
  1. Something to be positive about and to help move things forward in a town that really needs a boost.
  2. The IOC is reeling politically, so it might be the best time ever to be negotiating with them.
  3. With the messes we've seen in recent Olympics, Calgary would potentially be poised to basically save the games and be the city that gets them back on the right track.
  4. It attracts federal and provincial infrastructure money - I, for one, would like to see a bit of that sent our way for a change

I am always amazed at how immediately negative most people are about basically everything.
When people are losing their jobs and watching their taxes go up, a vanity event like this is undoubtedly the single last thing they want. And that matters the most. It's political suicide to support this when the economy is as it is. Maybe in 5 years things will be better and it'll make more sense. Right now if you put this to a vote, it'd be voted down at least 2-1 against. Even in 5 years I bet it'd get defeated soundly. Security alone will be billions, so very, very difficult sell just on that, let alone the infrastructure. You also assume provincial or federal money is coming, yet the province figures to be in deep trouble financially with the NDP, and the country still has a lot of debt it needs to work on getting down. Olympics is pretty much at the back of the line of priorities.

As we've seen in every major western city given the chance to vote on the Olympics recently, they've all soundly rejected it. Even in Boston, with tons of facilities in place, the people rejected it. Everyone has figured out the IOC con game, and everyone knows the IOC is a disgusting organization. It's why dictatorships are the future of the IOC, they're willing to give them whatever they want. Sensible countries know better now, thankfully. You're right the IOC is in deep trouble. Which is why not bidding at all is the way to go since buries them even deeper, and forcing the Olympics in countries no one wants is excellent. Let dictatorships enjoy it all they'd like.