View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

This article is a couple of years old now, but another point of view is that the contract with the Heat is illegal:

Legal opinion claims Abbotsford Heat deal not in compliance with Community Charter

Quote:
Abbotsford council candidate Vince Dimanno hired the legal firm of Yearwood & Company, located in Port Kells, to perform a review of the agreement. Lawyer Andrew Rebane has produced a legal opinion stating the Heat deal is in contravention of the Community Charter.

“It is my view that the contract does not comply with the requirements of the Community Charter, simply because the city failed to get approval from the electorate before entering into the contract,” said Rebane.
Quote:
“Can Fraser Valley Sports and Entertainment (the Heat) sue the city, or would the city be able to demand the funds back ... That’s opening up the Pandora’s Box, so to speak.”

Dimanno has sent a copy of the legal opinion and an accompanying letter to B.C. Premiere Christy Clark, the attorney general, the solicitor general, and the minister of community development, requesting the province review the information and uphold the charter.

“It’s my contention that the province created the Community Charter so it’s up to them to enforce it,” said Dimanno.

“I don’t think it’s my responsibility to bring this before a judge – it’s the province’s responsibility.”
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote