Thread: ACL surgery?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #35
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a tough one Jiri, I had my ACL repaired just over two years ago (blew it playing arena football).

The biggest thing I can say for you with regards to recovery is to make sure you really work your quads, hamstrings and surrounding muscles BEFORE going in for surgery. Even with you doing this, your muscles will atrophe, and it will seem like you have lost all muscle mass in that leg. Not to worry, with some work the muscles come back fairly quickly.

Make sure you follow your rehab procedures, and make SURE, I can't stress this enough, to get your leg STRAIGHT as early as possible. If you need to get someone to push it down so that it straightens, do it, as this will be the biggest limiting factor to a full recovery. Range of motion (ROM) is the biggest thing I found that led to me being able to run about 1.5-2 months after surgery.

The recovery isn't much fun for the first couple weeks, but if you really follow your rehab procedures, and stretch alot and do the little strengthening exercises, you will be well on your way to a full recovery.

Biking is also very very good for your rehab (stationary biking of course).

Best of luck with the surgery and recovery!

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 08-31-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: realized the thread was from 2007.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote