View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #1568
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm a value buyer in general too. I get it. I was mainly suggesting putting a power amp between your pre amp and bookcase speakers, 64W means you're starving those speakers. $80 gets you 2x 160W or a 2x 100W power amp. I think you'd definitely hear a difference through your Klipsch if you did that. The B10 are rated 50-200W.

TDA7498E 2 Channel Stereo Audio Amplifier Receiver Mini Hi-Fi Class D Integrated Amp for Home Speakers 160W x 2 + 24V Power Supply https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077GWVHHN/..._wZIXEbGRF5F09
All well and good except the amp you link is 160W (max) into 4 ohms, but the Klipsch B10s are 8 ohms. Specifications for the TDA7498 are all over the map. For example:
Audiophonics TDA S50
2 x 50W @ 8 ohms w/36V power supply
2 x 100W @ 4 ohms and 1% THD

SMSL SA-98E
2 x 160 watts max @ 4 ohms (12% THD)
2 x 80 watts max@ 6 ohms (10% THD)
2 x 60 watts max @ 8 ohms (10% THD)

Here is an independent test from Big Wiz:

I don't want to imply that the chip amps are bad, but be very careful touting them based on their advertised power output. This particular chip seems to be highly regarded and I think it's a decent solution for a home office and they are more than capable.

The B10 sensitivity is 90 dB at 1W/1m. By way of comparison, one of my set-ups in my home office is a Pioneer SX 680 (30W) driving a pair of JBL 4401 studio monitors (88 dB). The 30W receiver is more than sufficient to drive those speakers at the listening levels I enjoy and what the Baroness lets me get away with. So, I don't necessarily agree when you state that 64W starves the B10s but it depends on what the listener's goal is.

In a near field monitoring situation, such as in an office, 85 dB SPL (with 15dB peaks) is loud enough, in my opinion, and a 25W amplifier is sufficient. I typically average about 72 dB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post: