View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #87
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
What types of roads are you guys using. I really only use the highway that is on the original map, and connect the small roads to this highway to build my communities, but this is probably not the most effective way of doing things, especially when the communities become larger. I don't have any freeways running through my cities, and I've heard not to bother with medium size roads because they just create traffic lights and therefore traffic problems.
I have a city with 95,000 people now and no real traffic issues (for now anyway). My strategy is to build communities in a semi realistic way. Highways feed into a large road that feeds directly into a traffic circle (either large or small, prebuilt or custom built). Large roads through the community are lined with commercial/offices and connect transfer hubs(traffic circles). Branched off those large roads are small 2 lane roads which lead to residential in a modified grid pattern. Keep this grid large to limit intersections and fill in the gaps with culdesacs, etc. for residential.

Using this it limits intersections, keeps easy access for delivery trucks to commercial and provides some nicely curvy roads through residential areas. It also makes servicing areas with transit easy due to the large grid.

For my industrial areas, every area has a cargo train station, easy access to the highway system and a true grid. Trucks are the most difficult thing to keep moving smoothly so make it easy for them and monitor where they are going to help optimize them.

I don't usually use medium roads (4 lane) because you can't one way them and they don't provide much of an advantage over a 6 lane road. I do love how with enough time you can fix any traffic issue in this game.

One other note, have a separate line for your industrial and passenger trains. I had massive train traffic jams that took me quite a while to clear up.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post: