View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #64
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Fair enough. Just remember a lot of debate between the two last spring during the world championships. It's not like Raanta is an old fart, he's 24 years old, compared to 22 for Ortio. Actually right in between Ortio and Berra, so for maturity he can be compared to either of them, while I would still probably look to Ortio as a more apt comparison, as Raanta was more of a later bloomer in net (never was drafted). Remember watching the Finland games last spring and not noticing too much difference in their styles, so I thought it was an apt comparison, but you would know more, you're actually in Finland right? Or used to be?
I don't remember him that well to be honest. Raanta is smaller and doesn't have the physical talent that Ortio does. Economical, doesn't overplay. Seems like a guy who can play tight games with little margin for error, but I'm not sure what happens when the game opens up. Does he have an extra gear for higher level of competition? Raanta absolutely dominated Finland last year, but you never know how someone's game translates to the NHL.

Ortio I see as a traditional prospect with lots of talent and room to improve. I'm sure Raanta isn't done developing but I see him more in the Rämö-Berra group. No question Raanta was better season as he was the MVP of the league for the entire year.