View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #3259
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have constantly been one of Bennett's biggest supporters on this site, but I think it would be wrong to thrust him into the top 6 right now. I don't think the extra pressure will necessarily help, or to suddenly raise expectations on him. Just feed him regular and consistent minutes as the 3rd line centre and let him grow his game. That's already a step for him. I think he has the ability to be more than that, but let him develop for now, gain some confidence and reps and see what happens. It is great if he pushes a centre in front of him down - that's what should happen. He hasn't pushed anyone down yet. Hartley was fairly good about 'earned, not given' and I think the Flames should utilize that philosophy with Bennett - but also actually give him a chance at succeeding.

Monahan has consistently produced like a 1st line centre. Backlund has been the backbone of this team with his hard minutes which has allowed every other line a bit of a free ride in zone starts and quality of competition. Neither one deserves to be demoted, at the very least not until someone actually passes one of them.

I love Bennett, and I think he is still a very important piece to this team, and this team should be doing what it can to help him along. I just don't think he should be a top 6 centre yet - I think he will be, but let him earn it, let him push himself up, but give him the tools and the time to get there. I would love to see another player brought in so that Lucic gets pushed down to the 4th line - preferably having a top line RW added so it creates a cascade downwards, and if not, see who else is skilled and earns a spot there this year, even off of a PTO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: