View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #155
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I could very well be wrong, but my immediate thinking is that for every elite team with a down roster, veteran player as captain, I can probably find you 5-10 elite teams with elite stars as captain.

My memory isnt great, but I cant remember the last time a team won a cup with a Bryce Salvador wearing the C.

There just isnt a great precedent for success there.
Worrying about whether your team's captain is an "elite star" or not is a hallmark of crap teams that go nowhere.

For every "elite team" with "elite star" as captain you'll find lots of teams that were complete crap regardless. E.g. Jack Eichel didn't lead the Sabres anywhere. The Lightning won back-to-back cups in 2020 and 2021, but people forget they were dog#### when Vinny Lecavalier was their captain. Mike Modano in Dallas was an atrocious choice; he'd been the best player on that team for over a decade by the time they made him captain, and he wisely relinquished it two seasons later. Ask any Canucks fan who the Worst. Captain. Ever. is and they'll almost unanimously shout "#### MESSIER!" Alexei Yashin in Ottawa and Long Island? Shayne Corson in Edmonton? Roberto Luongo and his "honourary but official' captaincy in Vancouver? Prior to the Capitals' Cup in 2018 a lot of people said the worst, most undeserving captain in NHL history was Ovechkin.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote