View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I've got one. They are a mini convection oven that is the modern replacement for a toaster oven. Great for small items that would normally go in the oven like a few chicken fingers. The "fryer" name is nothing but marketing and there is no comparison with foods like chips or wings cooked in a deep fryer.
I think this is mostly true. Most air fryers (not to be confused with an acti-fry which is a totally different product) are like a mini convection oven with a slight "extra" feature that allows it to be a slight step towards a deep fryer. This is done with the ability to push quite a bit of hot air under the food (rather than moisture trapped under a baking sheet).

This allows the ability to make appetizers in a manner that would be more uniform and crispy than if you made it in an oven. I love grabbing Cavendish fries from Costco. While the deep fry version at the Costco food court is superior, the fact I feel I can make the fries to around 90-95% of the Costco food court quality using an air fryer is a huge win for me.

Additionally, deep fryer might be tastier, but there's no damn way I'd ever whip one out just for a small batch of Cavendish fries, especially since I have kids. The air fryer wins hands down in that regards. It's just so awesome to have random appetizers in the freezer than I can whip out and have ready to consume on a whim in around 15-20 minutes, including a couple minutes of preheat.

EDIT: It's also great for heating up pizza without being as soggy. And it's awesome that unlike the oven, in the summer your home isn't extra uncomfortably hot from the oven after making something in it.

Last edited by DoubleF; 11-24-2021 at 08:46 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote