View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #33
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ben Johnson. I was 12 in 88 and I don’t think I remember being so excited for a sporting event in my life. My teacher had done track in college and was also very excited, I remember being concerned because Ben hadn’t done real well in the heats leading up to the final race and and my teacher was like don’t worry he’s saving for the main event etc. They were running promo clips with Ben’s mother and it truly felt like a good vs evil event. After the win I remember the excitement from everyone old farmers, gas station attendants, the people in our conservative church who saw sports as a distraction etc. everyone seemed to feel some of that victory even more than the Canada Cup or Olympic Gold. I think the 2010 hockey gold was similar in that way.

Joe Meli. Not well known but a 4 time judo olympian from Lethbridge who lost bronze medal match in 84. Very nice, accessible still teaches kids or at least I think he does. Always had time for any beginner at a tournament who wanted to meet or talk to a real olympian.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote