View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #627
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
You want to see interesting teams you never see. There is a pleasant surprise every WC. Costa Rica were a shootout away from the semis. I think only 5 euro teams made the 16s. One of them was Greece!
No, I pretty much just wanna see the best tournament possible. A 48 team tournament is just going to be ridiculously ugly, especially if they follow through and put penalties into the group stage matches. The biggest takeaway from such a tournament might be new ways to park the bus. 24 team tournament, let's say 14 Euro teams, 6 COMNEBOL teams and 4 wildcards who qualify through a side tournament. But as Matt points out, this upcoming World Cup is already loaded with mediocrity, expanding said mediocrity is terrible for fans and I'm not at all convinced it'll be more profitable for FIFA. Just think 2026 in North America...where can you have Saudi Arabia play Burkina Faso and it draw more than 4,000 fans? I don't think this isn't going to be the financial windfall FIFA thinks it'll be. They'll make more money, sure, but not as much as they're hoping to.