View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #521
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCarpenter View Post
I would be for a straight KM used cost - kind of like how you claim vehicle expenses but in reverse. Say 5 cents a KM or something.

This could be done in the background and you are sent a bill once a year / month for your cars usage. Destination information could be stripped out of the info stream and you are just charged on Raw KMs.

Problem I see with the above is when you are registered in SK but drive in AB does your tax money go to SK or do we need to tag mileage used with location and the money dispersed that way?
Yeah the advantage of the fuel surcharge is that likely most of the mileage driven using that fuel would be in the province where it was sold (except for possibly fuel sold at cities/towns near a border - but likely you'd get similar amounts of traffic going in each direction so it probably balances out).

One possibility is to make it so that all faster chargers require metering and a road surcharge tagged on to electricity used by fast chargers. I can't really see it being possible to meter trickle-charging out of 120V wall outlets, but I imagine that the % of people using that might be small enough for it to not matter too much.

Otherwise, doing an annual charge based on vehicle weight and mileage might work well enough (could even be done at the same time as vehicle registration, just for the previous year driven). While you might have some issue with people registering a car in one province and driving most of their miles in another, I'm not sure if it's a big enough % of the population to matter. As long as you are required to register your car in your province of residence (I'm assuming most people drive most of their miles in the province that they live in, but haven't done anything to check that assumption).

I do wonder if commercial vehicles already have the information available to be able to report how much mileage they incur in different places - since I've heard that like 90%+ of road wear is due to trucks.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote