View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #125
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I was thinking of doing a MoCA set up in my place but confused at how exactly it works. I'm with Shaw, is it as simple as getting one adapter and plugging from coaxial to adapter into the modem? Then at other point coax to the adapter to in my case velop? Just trying to figure out the best way to get internet all over the house and maintaining speed!

The CP brain trust seems to be better at this stuff than I.
MoCA simply replaces the need for ethernet for older homes that don't have it, but have a bunch of old coax that they used for TV's. Don't worry about where the Shaw router goes. It's job is to simply let your home network talk to the Shaw network. The only time you should need to consider MoCA is if you have a very large or difficult home to get wifi throughout and need to run a hard line to one of the mesh access points.

In my experience, the vast majority of wifi issues revolve around signal interference from your neighbours or other electronics like microwaves. Spend some decent money, like the Velop, and get a system that will automatically adjust wifi channels based upon interference. And don't overdo the mesh access points. More is not better because your device (phone, for example) won't automatically connect to the AP with the highest signal strength. They tend to connect to one and stay connected to it regardless of another AP being closer.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote