View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #242
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Utility scale is likely superior, but its not the only way to leverage solar. This is part of the problem with people addressing the climate science issue. They think there is one magic bullet, when there needs to be a 30 round magazine full of bullets to solve this problem.
My point it is misused resources. You acknowledge utility scale is likely superior, so why not deploy all available capital in the most efficient way possible?

Quote:
Residential power generation is a great solution as well. And no, it wasn't home owners who came up with this idea, it was the utilities themselves. The problem was they didn't think that so many people would have such large installations that they would not need to leverage the grid tie-in, and then make their money off the differential. Because vendors have come in and are providing over-sized installations, ones that generate an excess of electricity, the utilities are finding less demand for their product and paying out more than they anticipated. Sucks to be them. Good for the people that had the wherewithal to build a better mouse trap, and then homeowners for being able to take advantage of it.
Good for the people who can afford it, you mean? Own their own house, and have the capital to spend? Sucks to be poor? Think that through a little.

Quote:
Seems really efficient for me and my neighbors. Seems really efficient for our utility as well, as they can spin down the gas and nuclear generation units when demand is low. In a world where we want people to be more self-sufficient this seems like a perfect solution. The only way it could get better is if I didn't need the utility heartbeat, and could be totally self-sufficient, but that is a legislated requirement for systems in my market. Now THAT ain't fair!
Gas, yes. Nuclear? No. They are on or off. Did you ever stop to ask WHY it may be legislated? I'll let you think on that. You seem to think utility companies are all evil, but modern society wouldn't exist without them.

Quote:
Wow, why are the numbers so low? I generate that much in a month with the exception of the very winter months. I would think that Calgary would generate a ton during the summer with the longer days, which would up the generation? Why does Calgary generate so little when they have so many generating hours to rely upon?
Because the sun shines in the summer when you don't need it, and not in the winter when you do. We have much shorter days in the winter as well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote