View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They were not betting on hockey. It was primarily pro and college football and basketball.

Here's the archived story from when it first broke 15 years ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20060215.../story/5313610

Looking back, it seems like it probably wasn't more than a few friends placing bets on football and basketball games, but because they were professional athletes, their bets were bigger than what a normal working person is betting when they make similar bets with their friends.

The story says there was evidence of over 1000 wagers worth more than $1.7 million. That's an average of less than $2000 per bet. For someone making over $1 million per year, that's like someone who makes $50,000 a year placing a $100 bet.

Also, interesting to see that current Canucks' coach, Travis Green, was also implicated as one of the participants in the gambling ring when he was still playing.
There is very little evidence in that story to confirm there was no betting on hockey. Maybe there wasn’t but I would not come to that conclusion definitively from what I have seen reported.

I would be curious if any other major pro sport in North America would employ a head coach who ran an illegal gambling operation like this.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote