Thread: 2020 Formula 1
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #911
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If Hamilton wasn't as great as you think he isn't, he wouldn't have won his first championship in 2008, before he was in the best car on the grid. He wouldn't have beaten every Bottas so handily. He only lost one season in the Merc, and that one had a lot of bad luck, and he barely lost. He's clearly better the Rosberg. He's also faced several world champions on the grid, and beaten them. He's made Vettel look the fool several times. He's an incredible driver with skills that can not be denied. Does he get pouty? Of course. But he doesn't make stupid mistakes on track. Most former drivers consider him the best current driver, and not just because of the car.
I didn't say Hamilton sucked. Nor was it implied. I thought my post was extremely clear saying the competition has never been weaker relatively to the cars. Ferrari was always toe to to with Williams or McLaren. McLaren was always toe to toe with Ferrari or Beneton or RedBull or Renault.

All the greats faced incredibly stiff competition from other car makers. Save maybe the Senna Prost era, its been tight. Hamilton in the Merc has faced none of it except a nice middle finger from Rosberg. Redbull and Ferrari have had a glimmer of light here and there and everyone else (McLaren/Williams/Renault) just went scorched earth and are now just getting back up to speed.

No other era of f1 that I have watched over the last 30 years has been this one sided. And its gifted Hamilton some pretty easy wins to get to those records that were IMO earned with a lot more effort from previous driver. And this coming from a guy that despised Schumacher for his BS in the Villenuve championship season and onward.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote